A unique programme combining economics and politics, EDIPS employs innovative teaching methods to give you a deep understanding of dynamic developments in the world today. The programme has been designed to prepare competent decision-makers for private businesses and governmental institutions, media and NGOs who want to kick off their career internationally.
The curriculum of the programme consists of mandatory and elective courses. The mandatory courses will give you a strong foundation in core disciplines a well-versed diplomat and international economist has to master: economics, finance, management, diplomacy, international relations and foreign languages. The elective courses will give you an opportunity to widen you knowledge by a number of specialisations. You can also choose from a selection of optional courses to enrich your study experience by different perspectives.
Study plan and schedule
Download study plan.
Schedule will be available approximately 2 weeks before the start of a semester.
The program is open to applicants with a bachelor’s degree in business, economics, international relations and related disciplines. Candidates having bachelor degree in other than business and management related discipline are not eligible to be accepted.
Applicants who have not finished their bachelor’s studies by the date of admission must provide an official confirmation of their ongoing studies along with the expected date of graduation. They can be given a conditional offer with the final decision to be taken upon delivery of the proof of completed bachelor’s programme.
The selection is based on the review of submitted documents. There is no written examination, but online interview may be part of the admission process.
The primary conditions for admission to the master's study program in English at the Faculty of International Relations are:
- a 1st-level university education, a 2nd-level university education in a study program of the study field of the relevant faculty in a related study field, while the sum of credits for the previous university studies, through which the candidate obtained university education, and the number of credits required for the proper completion of the master degree study program for which the candidate is applying must be at least 300 credits.
- if the candidate graduated from a related field of study, after being admitted to the master's degree of study in a foreign language in the study program of the master degree of study, he must take differential exams to the extent determined by the dean of the faculty (the relevance of the field of study is assessed by the dean of the Faculty of International Relations)
- qualitative selection of candidates to study at the Faculty of International Relations will take place based on study results of the bachelor's degree. The criterion for admission is the weighted average for the entire period of bachelor's studies except for the last (summer) semester of study.
- A candidate who does not demonstrate fulfilment of the primary conditions for admission to study at the time of the entrance exams may be admitted to study provisionally with the fact that he is obliged to demonstrate fulfilment of the primary conditions for admission to study no later than on the day designated for enrollnment to study.
Disclosure: We reserve the right to not open the program in case not enough number of eligible candidates is selected.
How to apply and required documents
Each applicant needs to fill out an online application form. It is necessary to add scans of required documents to an online application or send them to an e-mail
- Completed application form
- Certified true copy of bachelor’s diploma in English or Slovak (hard copy sent by post + scan) *
- Official transcript of records in English or Slovak
- Official confirmation of ongoing studies along with the expected date of graduation in English (in case you have not finished your studies yet)
- Copy of an identity card or passport
- Proof of payment of the application fee 60€
- Certified true copy of the recognition of your bachelor diploma (hard copy sent by post + scan) **
* If you do not have your diploma yet at the time of filling out an application form, you can still apply, but please sent us your diploma along with transcript of records as soon as possible upon receiving it.
**Please note that you have to provide us a certified true copy of the recognition of your diploma issued by a foreign education institution by enrollment day. You can download the application and find more information about nostrification.
The candidate is obliged to prove meeting the basic requirements for admission to the master’s degree study on the day of enrollment to the study at the latest. If the candidate fails to submit a certified true copy of bachelor’s diploma and a certified true copy of the recognition of bachelor diploma to the Faculty of International Relations of the University of Economics in Bratislava on the day of enrollment to the study at the latest, candidate‘s right to be enrolled to the study expires.
Without these documents, it is not possible to obtain a decree on full admission to the study; only a decree on provisional admission can be issued.
Knowledge you acquire
Principal learning outcomes in terms of knowledge:
- the ability to analyze developments in the international economic, political, and legal environment to date,
- the ability to identify critical issues and anticipate potential problems and crises in international economic, political, and legal relations, Euro-integration processes, to characterize, analyze and evaluate individual situation models and to provide alternative solutions,
- the ability to create and apply their knowledge in a comprehensive solution to specific economic problems,
- the ability to integrate knowledge from individual disciplines, critically evaluate and analyze them, and apply methods, principles, and techniques of the field in the context of practically defined problems.
The graduate acquires the competencies through which:
- he/she can successfully integrate into a professional or national team, as well as work independently and as a team at the middle management level,
- he/she can critically reconsider alternative solutions to problems in the field of international economic relations,
- he/she can engage in dialogue with economic actors and political leaders,
- he/she can enrich the work of his team with innovative and creative decisions,
- he/she can present and implement their proposals and solutions with knowledge of economic, political, and legal contexts of specific issues in the working team
- he/she can participate in the management or direct management of the activities of national and international teams and companies, institutions, organizations, or institutions of the decision-making sphere,
- he/she can distinguish and evaluate possible ethical problems, appropriately apply good ethical values in a particular situation and propose the most appropriate solution.
During the study, the graduate will acquire practical skills that will enable him/her to:
- deepen existing knowledge and acquire new knowledge on the issue of specific components of international economic relations, from national and international information sources,
- communicate effectively and highly qualified with foreign partners, companies, or institutions not only in the Slovak language but also in world languages,
- prepare background materials for international economic policy strategies according to the job classification, usually companies or institutions of the decision-making sphere, and participate in their implementation,
- to make competent decisions during their professional activities and to expand and enrich their knowledge and skills with the latest knowledge in the field of international cooperation.
Job opportunities after graduation
The professions for which the graduate is prepared in compliance with the graduate profile:
- Diplomat, consul
- Head of diplomatic mission
- Manager of parliamentary or governmental agenda
- Specialist in the field of parliamentary and governmental agenda
- Manager in the field of international relations
- Specialist in the field of international law
- Expert for protocol affairs
- Expert of foreign business policy
- Economic analyst, prognosticator
The knowledge, the competence and the skills developed within the curricula of the other compulsory, compulsorily optional and selective courses create conditions for another professions:
- Financial specialist (manager) EU funds
- Specialist of development of industry and business
- Project manager
- Specialist (manager) for methods of EU funds
- Specialist (manager) for programming EU funds
- Specialist for EU funds control
- Specialist for energy and raw material policy
- Managers of administrative, supportive, and business activities
Expert in the field of management and administration
Preparing for an international career? You are invited to pursue the EDIP as a double degree programme in partnership with University of National and World Economy in Bulgaria or University of Latvia in Riga. Two degrees from two renowned universities are an excellent stepping stone into an international career in Europe and pretty much anywhere else in the world.
Double degree is also possible in cooperation with Kyiv National Economic University named after Vadym Hetman (KNEU), Ukraine.
3 good reasons to join the program
- if you are interested in a career in diplomacy,
- if you want to acquire knowledge about various aspects of international relations,
- if you want to study the programme that is unique.